(no payment involved)
How to Add FREE SSL CERTIFICATE :
This guid covers how to use zerossl to install an SSL certificate for free from lets-encrypt . Lets-encrypt is a non-profit organization interested in making internet private and secure for everyone. There are many ways of installing a lets-encrypt free SSL certificate depending on the operating system one runs. However, for the benefit of everyone irrespective of their OS the guide covers the web version of installing the free SSL certificate. As mentioned above the requirements are only your computer and internet connection no payments involved.
How to use zerossl
1. Open this link for zerossl in new tab .
2. From zerossl.com Select CERTIFICATES AND TOOLS
3. Under Details check this check-boxes
a. HTTP verification
b. Accept ZeroSSL TOS
c. Accept Let’s Encrypt SA(pdf)
Afterwards fill the domain input area with the domain-name of the website you want to get an SSL certificate for. If you have a private email from your host (not your normal email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org email etc.) you also want to add an SSL certificate for, fill the email input area with the private email. If not leave the email input area empty then click NEXT button. Wait for few seconds while it generates the certificate depending on strength of your internet connection.
Copy the certificate which begins from
—–BEGIN CERTIFICATE REQUEST—–
and ends at
—–END CERTIFICATE REQUEST—–
(including the phrases above)
or simply download the certificate. If you download the certificate then make sure you download the key too and skip step 4,5 &6.
4. If you copied the certificate then go to your websites control panel. Under security choose to add SSL (this may vary depending on different web hosts) then paste the copied certificate in the certificate section.
5. If the key isn’t visible in the text box beside the certificate text box in zerossl click NEXT button again. Wait while it generates the key. After a key is generated copy the key which starts from
—–BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY—–
and ends at
—–END RSA PRIVATE KEY—–
(include the phrases above)
6. Go to your websites control panel and paste it at the key area. Most times it is located under the certificate section, then skip step 7& 8 .
7. If you downloaded the certificate only, download the key too (if the key text box is empty click NEXT button and wait for it to be generated, then download it.)
8. Log in to your website’s control panel and go to the add SSL section. Upload the certificate to the certificate field and the key to the key field. If you have any trouble uploading them then copy them as described in step 4 ,5&6 . If you uploaded them respectively you are almost done.
9. In zerossl.com Click the NEXT button to go to verification. Download the text files named with hashed names. .eg nx4RK70Sta4Om3qkAoGip94N10jpskDi_r5zAhkFfGM click on the download icon located next to the filename. Proceed with the verification process as described at the top of the verification page in zerossl.
To verify domain ownership using HTTP verification, you will need to create appropriate files with specific text strings under your “webroot/.well-known/acme-challenge/” directory, where “webroot” is the main directory with your website pages. Please make sure that the files you have created are actually accessible (by clicking the links below in the File column) and have proper content before clicking “Next”
10. Its worth noting that you simply need to go your www folder or htdocs or their significant other folder (the folder with the index.html file) in your control panel. Create a folder and name it webroot then open it and create another folder inside webroot and name it .well-known (don’t forget the “.” is part of the name). Then inside the .well-known folder create another folder and name it acme-challenge. Now upload the files you downloaded to the acme-challenge folder. Please note the this files are hash named with names like nx4RK70Sta4Om3qkAoGip94N10jpskDi_r5zAhkFfGM.txt and not the certificate and key files.
To verify you own the domain click the link below the text files. It looks something like this
with the name of the file next to Text: YoKB39XEJGJQkUPxz-QWVK7QUEq6o3dWq-Ro6itrIYg.Bv6eQfYkVqZ_D0UwrppVCEUfSHDCSHq5y7L0VlKNGrI.
Click on the name.
11. If the links open successfully click the NEXT button and you will see a success text telling you you earned yourself a free SSL certificate from letscrypt.
12. Go to your control panel and click on submit button to add the SSl certificate and key you copied or uploaded .
Congratulations! you added an SSL certificate to your website successfully.
The certificate expires after 6 months and therefore before its expiry you can get yourself another free certificate from zerossl. For an SSL certificate which doesn’t expire in six months buy one here at affordable price.
In most cases, you do not need to supply the CA bundle because the server will fetch it from a public repository during installation.
If you are interested in a paid SSL CERTIFICATE at affordable price then you can get yourself a paid certificate which doesn’t expire after six months and is widely accepted by different hosts here.
I hope this guide helped you, in case you encountered any problem feel free to ask in the comments section, my Facebook page ericworg or telegram channel webmatser001 . I appreciate feedback, drop comments and share this post to help others too. Subscribe to get future helpful posts via email and like my Facebook page ericworg to catch my happenings in the web. Thanks.